HOT AIR BALLOON FLIGHTS IN WADI RUM
I have a lot of people who write to me asking about the possibility of taking a Hot Air Balloon trip while staying with Bedouin Directions in Wadi Rum.
In short "yes you can". However, I prefer that you book with the company directly (rather than me booking it for you). This is because I think is important people have direct contact with the company they are booking a trip with.
There is only one company that runs the Hot Air Balloon trips. Anyone else is simply booking with this company on your behalf. The companies website is the Royal Aero Sports Club of Jordan.
If you go ahead in book with them then the procedure is as follows:
- The flights are always very early morning. Meeting time with them is usually at 6am. You can confirm this with me once you have booked with them, just in case it differs.
- You either need to do the trip before meeting us on your first day (you would finish by 8.30am and can then meet us by 9am).
- OR after staying overnight with us. If you stay overnight with us first then you should be doing the flight on your departure day (i.e if you stay two nights, not on the day between the two nights you are staying with us, but the day you leave).
- If you stay overnight with us before the flight then you need to inform them on booking with them that you will stay overnight at a camp inside the protected area. They will then agree to meet you at the Visitor Center. The other meeting point is the Diseh Petrol station, which is further away (they have maps you can consult on their website). They will NOT collect you from my camp (even though it says on their website they collect from any Wadi Rum camp, actually they will only collect from Diseh based camps).
- You need to be ready to leave my camp at 5am. We give you sandwiches to take with you rather than a sit down breakfast.
- If you have a rental car we take you to the village and you can drive the 5/7KM to the Visitor Center to meet them. We charge 10JD for the early morning transfer from the camp to the village. I need to pay the guide extra to bring you early from the Camp, and this is what I pay him.
- If you don't have a rental car we can take you all the way to the Visitor Center to meet them. We charge 20JD for the early morning transfer from the camp to the Visitor Center. I need to pay the guide extra to bring you early from the Camp, and this is what I pay him.
- Flights can be cancelled last minute due to winds etc so usually we will call the Balloon company the night before the flight to check everything is on schedule and the flight will go ahead. If the flight does not go ahead we would bring you back to the village at the normal time after breakfast and there is no charge to do that.
I hope this helps to provide some more information for people wanting to book a Hot Air Balloon flight.